This month’s Birchbox was the ultra-exciting Gossip Girl box, “inspired by the series and Manhattan’s chicest events.” Knowing that, I was fairly disappointed to open my box and find several items that didn’t really live up to the idea of Gossip Girl & its ultra-high fashion, luxe nature.
- Twistband Skinny Headband in Yellow– this is a cute little elastic headband, and I like it, but honestly, can you picture Blair or Serena in a bright yellow, elastic headband? I can’t.
- Color Club Polish in Disco Nap– tried this last night, and was impressed by the consistency and coverage. It’s a very high-impact, sparkly gold color.
- Arquiste L’Etrog Perfume– Supposedly, “This transporting scent will take you to an exotic Mediterranean cabin built out of palm leaves and foraged branches. Beneath these opening woodsy notes hovers a bright base of Etrog citron, which is native to Calabria, plus lush date and fragrant myrtle.” This was the most Gossip Girl-esque item I received; both for the price tag ($165 a bottle), and the unique, luxurious scent. Usually I go for something more feminine, and I wasn’t sure about it after putting it on, but having worn it for a while, I enjoyed how different it was.
- Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm– A combination tinted moisturizer, sunscreen, treatment serum, this should have been my favorite product. Instead, I tried it once and threw it out. It felt heavy on my skin, and rather than leaving my skin looking “dewy,” like the BB blurb claims, I felt like it highlighted every single flaw.
- BeautyBlender BlenderCleanser– A tool cleanser sample? Really? Of all the things to include in the Gossip Girl box, this was inexplicable. Because they spend so much time cleaning their own make-up brushes? I’m hoping to swap this for a different product.
- Birchbox Extra: XOXO Notecard- I liked the GG tie-in here, and the style of the card is attractive, but it drives me nuts that the envelope doesn’t match. The card is a red-orange shade, and the envelope is BB pink. Definitely sending those separately.
Out of 3 months, I’ve only had one box that I really enjoyed. I’m willing to give it another 3 months, and then we’ll see.